Solve street art

Solve street art
Chicago, 2006

Monday, May 9, 2011

Amon Tobin - Deo


I was just playing this Amon Tobin track the other day and a friend of mine asked who it was and commented that it sounded like DJ Shadow. I can see why she would think that but it had never occurred to me before. I imagine the majority of people who like DJ Shadow have never heard of Amon Tobin and that is a real shame. Though I do like DJ Shadow, my ears tend to like Amon Tobin more than DJ Shadow and I think that might be the case for many if they only had the chance to hear him. My disclaimer here is that it is commonly said that Amon Tobin's tracks often take multiple listens to burrow deep into your brains pleasure zone. I agree with that, there is a certain patience required of the listener that is not there with DJ Shadow. His music, in particular, has grown on me at a different pace than almost all other artists but the appreciation level is right there with any other artist I enjoy. It is interesting how there are different paths of musical appreciation to your brains pleasure zone. For many, these alternative paths have been long neglected, are now overgrown with weeds and guarded by ugly, popular culture looking trolls.

No comments: