Solve street art

Solve street art
Chicago, 2006

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Susumu Yokota - Saboten


Susumu Yokata it strange, incredible and as original as it gets. He has been releasing different types of electronic music for almost 20 years yet most music lovers have no idea who this mysterious Japanese enigma is. I was first exposed to his Image (1983-1998) album via a mad scientist friend who owned a record store and lent me a used store copy. I was confused by his music at first but the more life slowly melted away all that I thought I knew to be true, the more true Yokota's productions felt to my ears. Music that sounded non conventional with a lack of structure and order began to match the true nature of things and sound as real (at times more real than) as structured music.  I recently looked him up on youtube and there are some really cool visual art/videos that have been added to his music by fans. His music is often soundscape like and perfect for bizarre and beautiful visuals.

His works released under his own name are mainly electronic experimental albums with pieces of various genres mixed in but he has many pseudonyms that produce such genres as house, minimal house, ambient and glitch. In addition to Susumu Yokota he has releases albums under the following: Anima Mundi, Ebu, Prism, Ringo, Stevia, Ying & Yang, Yokota, 246, and an album with Rothko.

No comments: